Portuguese Water Dog - Defender and Companion
The Portuguese water dog is a reliable protector and loyal companion
The Portuguese dog is a born hunter andA faithful friend of man, accompanying him for more than one millennium. Pet has an original appearance and developed intelligence. The animal can make a worthy competition to the cleverest breeds of dogs. The Portuguese water dog has aristocratic manners and cheerful disposition, it is easy to get along in any conditions, infinitely devoted to its master. Consider the features of the maintenance and care of shaggy pets, photos of the breed.
History of origin
The name of the breed speaks about the place of its origin- Portugal. The first mention of the breed is rooted in the Middle Ages, when Portuguese fishermen used a dog to fish and deliver letters from ships to land. Thick, waterproof coat makes the dog an excellent swimmer, and the ability to develop impressive speed - an excellent hunter for a hare and a fox.
The Portuguese waterway is alsoDiligent watchman, who conscientiously protects the flocks of livestock from a predator. It was this application that was entrusted to a pet on the Iberian Peninsula, where thanks to the mariners the breed was widespread.
Portuguese dog is purebredA rock that has been isolated for a long time. Thanks to this, a stable gene pool was formed, which is still a key feature of the pet.
With the onset of the 20th century, the popularity of the breedBegan to fade fast. This is due to the decline of fishing activities in Portugal. The breed was saved thanks to the activities of the famous Portuguese businessman Vasco Bensuarde. He founded the first club of rock lovers, and representatives of water dogs began to take part in international exhibitions.
In 1930, the international standard of the appearance of a dog was developed and approved. In the middle of the last century, pets began to "conquer" Europe, they were recognized as the leading federations of dog breeders in the world.
Today, despite its rarity, the breed had timeConquer the hearts of a million people, including outstanding personalities. President Barack Obama is the owner of a shaggy friend and extremely satisfied with the temperament of his pet.
Portuguese water dog is differentEnergy and mobility, so that it can work both on land and in water almost the whole day. Representatives of the breed are divided into two types - with wavy and very curly hair. The breed is one of the largest dogs, the average height at the withers is 57 cm, with an average weight of 25 kg. The pet has a proportional build, a compact body and a powerful tail.
- head - wide, medium-sized, has protrudingArches above the eyebrows, the transition from the muzzle to the nose is clearly expressed, has strong developed jaws, there is a narrowing of the muzzle to the base, the nose is harmonious with the color of the coat color. The forehead is distinguished by a convex silhouette, has a central furrow;
- eyes - medium size, round shape, color, usually brown or black shades. Eyes are planted slightly obliquely. The eyelids are covered with a dense layer of dark pigmentation;
- Ears - have a high landing, hang, but they fit tightly to the head, the upper edge is slightly protruding, the tips do not protrude beyond the line of the lower jaw;
- bite - strong jaws with a scissor bite, pronounced fangs;
- Lips - not pendulous, tightly adjacent to the jaw, the oral mucosa is covered with black pigmentation;
- Housing - Strong but compact body. Short neck without folds, pronounced withers, deep chest, descending to the elbows, sloping croup. The top line is strong, the ribs are elastic, leaving the maximum space for the lungs. The abdomen is pulled in an elegant line;
- tail - not docked, has a thick base andCharacteristic narrowing to the end. The size does not reach the hock. In alert or motion, the dog presses the tail into the ring. In hunting, the tail acts as a means of coordinating movements;
- Forelimbs - muscular legs, set obliquely. Strong, developed shoulders with a powerful forearm. Wrists are distinguished by a massive skeleton. Paws have a rounded, somewhat flattened shape. The fingers are short, there are webs between them. Paws are covered with a thick layer of wool, claws have a black, brown and white hue;
- Hind legs - excellent articulation with the corners of the forelimbs, developed hips and shins, strong croup, strong tendons, developed hock joint;
- wool - thick coat without undercoat, "collar" is missing, hair is distinguished by natural shine, there are aesthetic curls;
- a haircut - The Portuguese water has two traditional haircuts. The first one is a lion. Cut out the middle and back of the body, as well as the muzzle. The second - working. It is characterized by a uniform cutting of the coat;
- Color - Different shades of brown, beige, black. Inclusions of different colors are allowed;
- dynamics - short, but active steps. The main mode of travel is lynx.
Temperament of the breed Portuguese water dog
Portuguese water has phenomenalDeveloped intelligence, comparable only to the mental abilities of the collie and the sheepdog. However, this quality has two sides of the coin. Getting such a pet, make sure that you can devote enough time to the dog. Otherwise, the animal will constantly direct its mind in different directions, which at times can grow into pranks.
In addition, an over-developed pet is neededOwner is the leader who will be able to curb the animal. It is recommended to regularly learn new commands, which can easily cope with the excellent memory of the pet. Do not forget about walks in the parks and woods. The Portuguese dog is the owner of a fine sense of smell, which must be used for the intended purpose. Let the pupil explore the area and show the instincts of the hunter.
The character of the animal is very diverse. It merged an extreme degree of independence, unconditional devotion to the master, willfulness and desire for freedom, obedience and canine puerility. Representatives of the breed are very sociable and friendly. They need a permanent host company, and better than all household members. For a large audience, pets always have a couple of crown stunts.
Water breed differs obedience, dogsAlways try to please the owner, and even if they show obstinacy, then certainly sweet and mischievous. With the content of the Portuguese, it is important to find a fine line between sufficient attention to the pet and children's lisping, which the animals can not tolerate, since they consider themselves to be a full member of the family and require respectful attitude towards themselves. When raising the breed will require rigor, but strict methods of training are contraindicated.
- Dogs tend to choose a single master among the household;
- Easily find contact with other animals in the house;
- Adore children, get on very well with older people;
- Have a positive effect on people depressed (a scientifically proven fact, pets are used in the European centers of psychological assistance).
- Walking several times a day for at least half an hour;
- Frequent changes of dislocations, so that the pet can study new territories;
- The choice of parks with areas for dogs (barriers, running with obstacles);
- Walks should be held at the same time;
- During walks, it is not recommended to use a leash and muzzle, which "degrade" the dignity of the pet;
- Use of progressive sports for training dogs - offense and agility.
Features of care:
- Wool - need combing several times inA week to prevent the formation of coils and entanglements. Comb and brush will also help to get rid of dead skin. The advantage of the breed is the absence of molting, so it can even contain people suffering from allergy attacks;
- Bathing - bath procedures are recommended only inConditions of extreme necessity with the use of specialized shampoos, not more often than the first time in 3-4 months. On the pet's fur there is a water repellent grease that is washed off when bathing;
- Clipping of claws every few months;
- Weekly brushing of teeth;
- Cleaning the ears with cotton swabs. Only the outer part of the ear should be touched, so as not to damage the auricle;
- After each walk it is recommended to inspect the pet's legs, remove mote and sharp particles.
Home or apartment - where to keep the Portuguese?
The best place for a dog to live isA country house where the pet can realize the stored energy. However, living a Portuguese on the street all year round is a gross mistake in keeping the animal. Pet poorly tolerates heat, and severe frosts affect the health of the breed is not the best way.
A water dog is important to be constantly in the fieldThe master's view, which will motivate her to achieve new physical and intellectual successes. It is not recommended to leave the animal alone for a long time, as the good-natured disposition will quickly "change" into anger and aggression.
You can keep the Portuguese in the conditionsCity apartment, but this will require daily, long walks. At home, the dog behaves modestly and quietly, provided that you give it to splash out your energy on the street.
The dog is very fond of chewing something, so the owners are advised to stock up a lot of elastic toys so that the pet does not go to the damage of shoes or interior items.
Portuguese water is very fond of studying smells,So during a family meal the dog will be constantly at the table and beg for food. To eradicate this habit, it will be necessary to devote the education of a pet a lot of time.
Nutrition of the Portuguese water
Leading dog experts recommend the use of feedPremium class as the main diet of the pet. Quality brands offer a balanced diet that meets the daily intake of protein and carbohydrates. When choosing a home kitchen, it is necessary to compose a dog's menu correctly:
- 40% - boiled meat of beef, chicken, game is allowed;
- 30% - porridge on the water, vegetables;
- 15% dairy products - cottage cheese, cheese, eggs;
- 10% - the sea menu.
Experts recommend giving the pet fractionalSmall portions 3-4 times a day. It is important that the dog does not overeat, as it is almost constantly in motion, which can adversely affect the work of the gastrointestinal tract.
How to buy a puppy of the breed Portuguese water dog?
Portuguese water dog is quite rare"Beast" on the domestic spaces, so it's quite difficult to get a puppy of this breed. Most pets are represented by European breeders, which causes a fairly high price. Foreign clubs offer all puppies with a pedigree, so you will not be able to save on documents. Average cost of a Portuguese Starts from $ 550, Which is a fairly moderate price compared to other water rocks.
Photo of the breed Portuguese water dog