The dog is digging the earth
Digging, like many dog habits, is caused by instinct. And for some breeds, for example, dachshunds and terriers, this is the norm.
- If the dog has nothing to do in the yard.
- If the dog is trying to dig under the fence to get to that side of the barrier (especially if the fence is a representative of the opposite sex.
- If the dog is looking for a cool place on a summer day.
- If the dog tries to bury "stocks for a rainy day."
- If the dog smelled in the soil fertilizer with bone meal.
- If a pregnant dog is looking for a comfortable solitary place for a petition.
The first step is to understand the reason for this behavior and take action on this.
- Find a place for your dog, wherever she could realize her instinct to dig. Encourage her to dig only there. It is better that it is a shady place and sandy soil (sand is easier to clean).
- To accustom to dig in a specific place, you canBury a toy there and give a command to "dig!" After the dog has a toy, it must be praised. Repeat this procedure until you fix the execution of the command in a specific place. Digging in any other place is accompanied by a command "impossible!" And switching attention to the chosen place.