A dog or a puppy pulls a leash: what to do and how to wean from it?
A lot is written about the difficult teenagers,But very little attention is paid to difficult dogs, their re-education, and this problem is urgent. In literature, unfortunately, there is almost no information on this subject, the trainers are true to their profession and keep their secrets holy. This article will talk about how to wean a puppy or a dog to pull a leash and what the pet owner should do in this situation.
Here is a two-month-old puppy, shamelessAnd defenseless. The owners are overwhelmed with love and affection for him, he has already crept into their heart. A month passes - two and in conversation about the pet there is a feeling of concern, there were problems with education .... The puppy stretched out, became even more active and independent, but he is less and less obedient.
Obviously, without special knowledge the owner herenot enough. But the owner of a dog is often sure that he is a sensible person and will manage on his own. As a result, a series of mistakes in upbringing continues. This is a typical situation that leads to the opposite of what you want.
How to avoid mistakes?
The answer is simple: Any case requires special knowledge, and to dog breeding it has the most direct relationship. A dog is a creature with a complex inner world, possesses cunning and his canine will, emotions, the ability to hate and love. Skilfully managing various reactions of the dog, you can learn to understand its behavior, to anticipate and anticipate any aspirations and consequences.
Agree, it's not easy, here's helpSpecialist does not hurt. And very often the problems accumulating in the amateur dog breeder for years, experienced trainers are solved literally in a few days, and even hours.
One of the most common problems is the dog's habit of pulling on the owner's leash. This bad habit turns jointWalks in voluntary hard labor. But meanwhile such a task can be solved by everyone independently. The dog taken on the leash, regardless of the length of the leash, should not go to stretch, and when changing the direction of movement, it must follow the owner.
What to do to disaccustom the dog to pull the leash?
First, you need to learn how to manage a dogWith the help of a leash. With certain skills, even a weak child can exert sufficient influence on his pet, while a strong man with inept treatment is not capable of effective management.
You must feel the power of your impactLeash, so first you can try to tie it to any subject and try it on your skill, that would not be in vain to hurt the dog's psyche.
Jerk should be short and sharp, but notPulling. And the rest of the time the leash must be saggy. This rule of life - as soon as you pull the leash, the dog will begin to pull it on itself, and, conversely, when easing the stretch, it will stop doing it. Such experiments are easier to conduct with a long lead. The strength of your jerks should grow from weak to stronger.
Once you master the technique of jerks, you canMove on to practice. Before the first training, for 3 days, the dog should wear a strict collar, for habituation. To go out for walks, (not for training) should be in the usual collar, not forgetting to change it to strict after a walk.
This is done so that later you can rebuild and create certain skills in the dog. In addition, she will get used to it and eventually cease to pay attention. A strict collar is an indispensable attribute of dog trainers.
1st stage of training
So, all the workouts are divided into three stages. Stage one: following the owner.
- It is better to conduct lessons in a secluded place, taking a dog on a leash 3-5 meters long.
- As soon as she pulls him, in a calm voice, invitingly pronounce the nickname and make a series of sharp and short jerks, while slowing down until the stop and change direction.
- It is necessary with the help of the same jerks to force the dogGo for yourself. Sharp, explaining jerks should be discontinued as soon as the dog relaxes the tension. In this case, not too much will be your praise, and even a treat.
- Such an exercise must be repeated several times, changing the direction of movement.
- Signal to follow will be the nickname you said.
It should be remembered that to create a pleasantEmotional mood, it is important to talk with the client, caress or scold him depending on the behavior and encourage the voluntary approach to the owner in every possible way. This way you create a comfort zone for the dog.
2 nd stage of training
Second phase: Transition to the skill of walking on a slacker leash. At this stage of training, the nickname of the dog is no longer pronounced, but we simply act on it with jerks when pulling the leash, stopping them when weaken. In doing so, do not forget to praise her and give him a treat. The first and second stages of training are held in the first lesson, which should last about 2 hours.
As a result, it is necessary to ensure that yourThe ward followed you on a loose, unstrung leash. In the course of training, the length can be adjusted - to do it shorter, then longer. The following classes can be conducted in different locations and settings, gradually moving to straight sections.
We, as it were, accustom the dog to the idea that while sheDo not pull the leash and follow you, she will be fine, she will be praised and treated with a delicious treat. All classes are conducted on a strict collar. For the transition to a soft collar follows the next stage of the work.
The third stage: walking on a sagging leash.
- At this stage we combine two leashes, on different collars - soft and strict.
- Now if the dog will pull you, pull first for a soft, and then for a strict collar with an interval between jerks of 0.5 - 1 second.
- Gradually the interval should increase to 3 - 4Seconds, but the strength of their jerks should be increased. This process can be lengthy, depending on the "spoiled" dog. And now it is necessary to move mainly rectilinearly. The load on the dog must be metered.
- The first sessions should not exceed 5 - 7 minutes, but during the walking of such sessions do a few.
- Gradually, the training time increases to 30 minutes or more.
- To discharge the energy of the animal, after eachA session of work, the dog can either be set free, or, fastening a soft collar, give him a command: "Forward!". For the pet, it should mean: "Bring me with all my strength!".
This produces one more useful skill- "Towing". A trained habit of walking on a leaking leash can be considered if the dog does it without internal resistance, if for her it became the norm of behavior. So take off your strict collar in no hurry until you see that there is no need for it.
I'll have to have patience, but the result of thatWorth it. The dog learn to obey, and will bring you a lot of relief. After working off "Walking on a leash" training of the exercise "walking around" will not be difficult for you. Successes to you in these endeavors, be persistent and everything will turn out!