Dandy-dinmont-terrier, photo and description of the breed
Dandy-dinmont-terrier Is the oldest branch of the breed of terriers. It is believed that pets originate from dogs that lived in Scotland. Terriers were used to combat rodents and harass small predators. The name of the animal has an interesting history, and was obtained from one of the characters of the book by Walter Scott. Dandy-dinmont-terrier boasts not only an interesting appearance, but also a livable character, due to which the popularity of the breed grows.
Dandy-dinmont-terrier - the hero of the novel "Guy Mannering"
The first mention of the breed is found in the 16th century,When the dog was actively bred by local Scottish farmers and gypsies for the destruction of rats. Later, pets became helpers on the hunt. The elongated body, ruthless character and developed sense of smell made dogs an excellent prey.
But a really popular breed was afterThe publication of the novel by Walter Scott, who described the life of rural England in the 19th century. One of the heroes of the novel, wishing to humiliate, was nicknamed Dandy Diamond. The character of the book kept a pack of hunting dogs, Dandy-dinmont-terriers, of course.
Walter's book describes life in detailThe character and his close contact with the dogs. The description of the animals was so accurate and enticing that a new wave of popularity hit the breed, but already outside of Scotland and England.
The pretty appearance of the terriers made them the main onesHeroes of paintings by famous artists: John Emms, Richard Ensdale, Horatio Henry Coldery, Roodon Briggs Lee and others. Today the popularity of the breed continues to grow, it is prevalent in the historical homeland and in European countries.
- Height at withers - up to 29 cm;
- the weight - up to 10 kg;
- head - large size, the skull has a visual constriction to the eyes, the forehead is convex, the nose is triangular in shape, has a dark pigmentation;
- Jaws - developed, the fangs are too large for a dog's miniature, the jaws close very tightly, a scissors bite;
- eyes - differ deep landing, large size, widely spaced, convex, often painted in walnut color;
- Ears - planted low, dangling and adhering to the cheeks of the dog, the color of the ears repeats the tone of the trunk;
- Housing - the line of the back is lowered down, the broad chest, the ribs are round;
- tail - short, curved, but not curved;
- Limbs - short paws with strong bones, oblique fit of the shoulder blades, hind legs slightly longer than the forelegs, well developed thighs;
- dynamics - smooth and easy move;
- wool - there is a soft undercoat and coarser coat, the traditional colors are mustard and pepper.
What to expect from the nature of the pet?
Like any other terrier, the Dandy is quiteFighting and independent dog. Pets have extraordinary courage, they are ready to rush into battle with a rival that is much larger than his size if the owner is in danger. At home, the dogs are very friendly, playful and affectionate. Scots have a weakness for various pranks, like to drag their master's shoes, sometimes they can spoil things.
Animals love children and are quickly involved in their games, they will always find what to do with babies in the absence of parents. Terriers easily get along with other animals in the house, especially if they grew up together.
Unlike other terriers, the Dandies are not aggressiveAnd extremely friendly. The nature of animals is independent, and they will become a faithful companion of man. A distinctive feature of the breed is curiosity. Dandy-dinmont-terrier is a highly developed intellectually intelligent dog that likes to obey household members.
Hunting instincts of the pet are manifested inAlertness to strangers. From the terriers are obtained excellent guards, which will warn of the danger loud barking and without doubt rush to protect the territory.
Features of the content of the breed Dendi-dinmont-terrier:
- health - there are shifts of the interdisk vertebrae, there are often problems with the eyes (glaucoma), a hereditary disease is epilepsy;
- content - the average size of the pet allows him to quickly adapt to living conditions, both in a city apartment and in a frequency house. The pet has an average activity level;
- Training - the pet is easy to train, but with rigid methods of education, the dog can react with stubbornness;
- wool - For pet fur you need to look afterUsing a comb and a stiff brush. You can not comb your hair every day. Trimming professional breeders to use do not recommend. Cut Dandy follows several times a year to maintain the shape of the fur coat. Hair on the pads should also be regularly cut.
Scottish diet - make a menu
Due to their miniature sizes, representativesBreeds eat little. And the basis of their diet is meat and vegetables. Products must be cooked without the addition of salt and spices. After eating, the bowl of the pet should remain clean. If you have found the half-eaten pieces, you must discard them and reduce the portion.
How to feed a puppy - recommendations:
- The first six months of the baby should be fed 6-7 times a day, gradually reducing the number of meals;
- To transfer the breed to solid food is necessary only after the puppy's teeth are cut. In this case, the transition should be smooth - to mix liquid and solid foods;
- Choose lean meats;
- 50% of the diet should be vegetables, cereals, dairy products;
- Inadmissible products are chocolate, biscuits, smoked and salty foods.
Dandy-dinmont-terrier - price overview
A distinctive feature of the breed is the color changePuppy as he grows up. As a rule, the offspring are born in a darker color scheme. Their color brightens to 8 months and only at the age of 3 years the color palette is completely formed and fixed. Therefore, do not panic if the breeder offers you puppies that are not mustard color, which is the reference color.
In our country the breed is notWidespread, but official nurseries are represented in large cities. The cost of a puppy depends on the availability of documents, the merits of his parents at exhibitions. Average The price varies between 1100-1800 dollars.