Rhinitis in dogs: symptoms, treatment
Rhinitis is an inflammation of the nasal mucosa. The nature of this inflammation can be quite different: catarrhal, hemorrhagic, croupous and follicular.
Acute and chronic rhinitis is distinguished in the course of the flow, by origin - primary and secondary. Most often there is catarrhal rhinitis mainly in the cold season.
The causes of rhinitis in dogs
Predisposition to rhinitis is due toDisorders in feeding and keeping puppies and dogs. Reducing the protective functions of the nasal mucosa to a variety of unfavorable factors contributes to the lack of dietary macro- and microelements, proteins, as well as vitamins, especially C and A.
Also reduce the body's natural defenseDampness and constant drafts in a room for keeping dogs. Also rhinitis can occur with a sharp cooling of the body, rapid transitions from cold to heat and vice versa. Dangerous to the canine nose hot air, irritating substances, smoke during a fire. Perhaps the emergence of secondary rhinitis against the background of the main infectious disease (adenovirus in dogs or plague) or non-contagious (stomatitis, laryngitis, frontalitis).
Symptoms of rhinitis in dogs
In catarrhal acute acute rhinitis:
- The dog is somewhat depressed, sluggish,
- Her body temperature may be slightly elevated or normal,
- The appetite is somewhat lowered,
- The pet sneezes,
- Constantly licking, snorting, snorting, sometimes rubbing his nose on furniture, walls and other objects,
- Breathing sneezing, labored, sometimes with a whistle, exhalation and a breath are elongated.
In more severe cases,Mixed dyspnoea in a dog. When examining the nasal mucosa, you can notice serous flow at the beginning of the disease and mucous-catarrhal in the future. Often, the nasal openings are clogged with purulent discharge or thick mucous membranes, sometimes with an admixture of blood.
Mucous membrane edematous, reddened, less often withPoint hemorrhages. Around the nasal holes begin to form crusts of dried exudate. If they are removed, cracks and wounds are formed. After 5-14 days the dog recovered on its own.
Chronic purulent rhinitis proceeds for a long time with periodic exacerbations, depression and emaciation of the dog. When examining the nose, its mucosa looks pale, it can have sites of ulceration, erosion, connective tissue scarring.
Follicular and croupous rhinitis in dogs is not a frequent occurrence. At these forms of the disease is expressed:
- More severe oppression,
- labored breathing
With a croup type on the nasal mucosaThere are gray or gray-yellow overlays, under which erosion and wounds are formed. For follicular rhinitis, the appearance of multiple nodules of yellow or gray is characteristic 2-3 days after the onset of the disease. After they disintegrate, erosions or ulcers are formed in their place.
These forms of rhinitis (runny nose in dogs) last for up to three weeks and mostly end in recovery.
First of all, it is necessary to identify and eliminate the cause of the disease. Otherwise, acute rhinitis will go to chronic and will constantly pursue the animal.
- The dog is placed in a dry and warm room, the time of its walking is limited as much as possible.
- In the diet, increase the amount of vitamins, especially A, B, E, C, macro and microelements, additionally daily give multivitamins
With signs of catarrhal rhinitis The mucous membrane of the nose is washed with disinfectant solutions. You can dip into the nose with a pipette 2-5 drops of herbal medicine, such as chamomile, mother-and-stepmother, turn, raspberry, violet.
With follicular or croupous rhinitis
- In the nose instilled solutions of antibiotics for dogs.
- Crusts with a nostril are removed, softening them with a 3% solution of hydrogen peroxide,
- After the removal, Vaseline is smeared with a circle of nasal apertures,
- Up to four times in denno for 10 minutes in the nostrils insert pieces of cotton wool soaked with fresh onion juice,
- The nasal cavity is lubricated with boric acid or 1-2% menthol ointment.
With chronic rhinitis, persistent discharge from the nose irritates the skin, it constantly becomes wet. To dry it, you need a few times a day to use a powder of white streptotsida. If the rhinitis is a complication of some disease, the runny nose may not stop for months and years. In this case, treatment of the underlying disease is necessary.