Pyoderma in dogs: treatment, photo. Symptoms, causes
Pyoderma in dogs is perhaps the most common disease associated with bacterial skin infections. More often it is caused by pathogenic staphylococci.
Pyoderma can be superficial and deep.
- With the surface form Affect the hair follicles or all layers of the epidermis
- With a deep form Sometimes even subcutaneous fatty tissue is involved
Most often pyodermia in dogs occurs with diseases of the immune system or disorders of the structure of the skin. Problems with the immune system can multiply pathogenic bacteria.
The main types of pyoderma and their symptoms
- For any type of pyoderma, dogs are characterized by the appearance of papules, which later turn into pustules and itching.
- With deep pyoderma, the affected areas stronglyBlush, they are characterized by ulceration. Piodermia of skin folds occurs with high humidity and skin temperature, when bacterial growth begins in its folds.
- Usually, the disease affects the skin on the cheeks and forehead atDogs with short muzzle (for example, in Pekingese and Bulldogs), lower lip (more often spaniels), as well as skin around the bough around the loop. The affected skin becomes wet, inflamed and unpleasantly smells.
Acute dehydratic dermatitis in dogs (wetEczema, or "hot spots") are manifested by damp, sore, itchy, unpleasantly smelling wound that occurs in hot and humid weather on the skin of long-haired dogs. The exact causes of this kind of pyoderma are not known, perhaps they are related to traumas that the dog itself inflicts as a result of hypersensitivity, infection by parasites.
Impetigo or "puppy pyoderma" Affects deep layers of hairless skin in puppiesFrom 3 to 12 months. With her develop small pink blisters, and bursting, in their place formed yellow scabs. With pyoderma calluses, the infection penetrates deeply into the thickening of the skin, which cover the protuberances of bones on the knees of large breed dogs.
The cause of the disease are multipleDamage to these parts of the body, diseases of the immune system or thyroid gland. Superficial itchy folliculitis worries the dog with the strongest itch. As a rule, the disease affects short-haired dogs (dachshunds, boxers, dalmatians and doberman-pinschers) and its cause may be hypersensitivity or dandruff. On the skin of the dog appear tumors and bald patches, the skin in these places blushes.
Interdigital pyoderma affects the skin betweenFingers. The cause of the disease can be foreign bodies (spines, seeds of grasses, splinters), koltuny between fingers, skin damage when walking on rubble or chemically dangerous places (puddles of oil or tar), infection with external parasites or fungal diseases.
Treatment of pyoderma in dogs
If the infection penetrates deeply, then it can be very difficult to cure.
- To begin with, it is necessary to cut the wool in the affected area and treat the skin with iodine, zelenok, a strong solution of potassium permanganate or epacid
- The lesions are also treated with antibacterial ointments or shampoos. For each specific case, individual treatment is prescribed.
It is very important to establish the causes of the disease. It is obligatory to fight against external parasites. For the removal of inflammation, antibiotics for dogs are prescribed: baytril. Treatment with antibiotics should last quite a long time - two more weeks after the apparent recovery, as premature abolition of antibiotic therapy often leads to a relapse of the disease.
Locally use streptomycin ointment, vedinol. Quickly improves skin condition using maxidin. Soreness with its injection is easily removed using lidocaine or novocaine (approximately 0.3 ml).