Mastopathy in dogs: treatment, symptoms
Mastopathy in dogs is a benign breast tumor. This is a fairly common phenomenon (more than half of all tumors) in dogs, which are usually found in bitches older than 6-7 years.
Most often, tumors occur in the fourth and fifthPair of mammary glands, are rare in the first and second pair. This is due to the fact that the fifth of the mammary glands has the greatest functional activity. First a single tumor appears and if the measures are not taken the tumors can be multiple.
The appearance of a tumor is usually associated with estrus,A pregnancy in a dog or a false suicide. With these functions, mammary glands always increase, and after - return to normal. However, abnormal formations appear in pathologies in the tissue. They can be elastic or soft, can be visible through the skin.
Forms of mastitis in dogs
Mastopathy can be diffuse and fibrocystic.
- Diffuse form Begins with the appearance of pain in the mammary glands,Which occurs a few days before estrus. This form may be preceded by fibrocystic fibrosis. When feeling in the mammary glands, the sensation of a sac with a shot is noted.
- Fibro-cystic form Characterized by the formation of dense painful knots,Which are rapidly growing without treatment. This form of mastopathy is more common in older dogs over 6 years old. Seals in the mammary glands can be single or multiple and are always pronounced.
- The main symptoms of mastopathy in dogs is an increase in mammary glands, and when probed, a noticeable granularity, lobulation, and wiry in them.
- There may be various discharge from the nipples: colostrum, sugars, blood.
- A dog can experience pain, lick glands,Be restless, even "pull the paw" on the side where the glands are affected. Tumor nodule for a long time can not change its size or grow very slowly, thickening after estrus or during a false suck.
- If the tumor is not detected in time and not startedTreatment, the dog begins to lose weight quickly, refuses to eat, drinks a lot. It is weakened and apathetic, the proximal (regional) lymph nodes are probed.
- If the tumor continues to grow, grow into surrounding tissues. The skin around the tumor becomes hot and tense, losing hair.
- There may appear ulcers and suppuration of certain areas.
- At the last stage of the development of the disease, a cough can appear in the dog, which indicates a metastatic lesion of internal organs. This means that the tumor has become malignant.
Since the fibrocystic form of mastopathy canTo have quite different symptoms and the most unpleasant consequences (including the formation of precancerous tumors), if signs of mastopathy are found, contact a specialist for advice as soon as possible or call a vet at home. An accurate diagnosis can be made only by examining the contents of the formation with histology.
Treatment of mastopathy
- At the initial stage of the disease, the doctor simply observes the animal and regularly inspects it during heat and false persistence.
- It is possible to use homeopathic medicines, which, in a stable state, allow the nodes to stay for a long time or even lead to their disappearance.
- Hormone therapy is also often used to treat a diffuse form of the disease.
- If mastopathy has a fibro-cystic form andThe tumor grows, surgical intervention is necessary. True, not every old animal will have an operation, it depends on the age, concomitant diseases of the liver, heart, kidneys and the degree of spread of the tumor.
- As a result of surgery, the forecast for further recovery is not always favorable, there may be relapses and separate metastases.
If the tumor in the dog is large and the processes beginMetastasis, the operation is already meaningless. However, sometimes the doctor also in such a situation does, so-called, palliative surgery: removes most of the bleeding or decaying tumor, and its residue is affected by antitumor drugs. True, such actions lead to an insignificant prolongation of life, but not to the cure of the animal.