Why the dog is breathing heavily
In quiet condition, the dog breathes quietly through the nose. Strong breathing through the mouth during running or in the heat allows the dog through the lungs to remove excess heat.
In a calm state, the deep convulsive breathing of the dog indicates the presence of some problems in the animal's body. Why does the dog breathe heavily?
Causes of severe breathing
Breathing can occur for a variety of reasons:
- She could overheat and even get a heat stroke
- The dog can be in a nervous excitement, for example, in an unfamiliar place, in transport, at a reception in a veterinary clinic
- Mechanical injuries are also possible: trauma or bruise of the chest in an accident, fall or as a result of a fight
- With overheating or an old animal, heavy breathing can be associated with a beginning heart attack
- A pregnant bitch can start hard and often breathe before the onset of labor. This also can be during lactation, when the mother strongly sucks puppies
- Heavy breathing can also be associated with suchCritical situations: - airway obstruction and pulmonary edema; - expansion of the stomach and torsion; - heavy delivery in a dog with a large number of puppies.
If the dog overheats, it will look forA cool place, a lot of drinking and refusing to eat. In the case of a chest injury, bruises or wounds in the dog can be seen, the dog will be weak, and when bitten, the chest will whine with pain. With a heart attack, a dog can panic. If the animal has an expansion and a torsion of the stomach, it will experience pain in the abdominal cavity.
With airway obstruction, the dog coughs,It takes a forced pose with its elbows apart, its mucous membranes turn blue. If the cause in eclampsia associated with lactation, then the bitch can leave the pups, hide from the light. She may have convulsions, clumsiness in her movements. This is due to a sharp drop in glucose or calcium in the body.
What if the dog is breathing heavily?
- If simultaneously with a heavy breathing in a dogThere are other alarming symptoms: she is restless or too sluggish, whines with pain, it is necessary to urgently call a veterinarian at home or very carefully to transport the dog to a 24-hour veterinary clinic.
- If the dog had a difficult birth and even more soDead puppies were born, the reason for the deterioration of her condition may be that she did not give birth to all the puppies. An urgent operation is necessary to relieve the bitch from intoxication of the body. In many cases, procrastination can cause collapse, which will lead to the death of the dog.
- If there are no other symptoms, but the dog is breathing heavilyIn unnatural situations for her, you need to conduct cardiovascular (ECG for a large breed and ECHO of the heart for small). This will help to exclude or identify heart problems that can cause dyspnea.
- It is also desirable to do an X-ray in a direct and lateral projection in order to exclude or reveal the problems of metastasis, respiratory and, in addition, the heart.