Paralysis in dogs of the hind and forelegs
Paralysis in dogs is the total absence of the possibility of voluntary movements of certain parts of the body. Most often, dogs suffer from paralysis of the limbs.</ P>
Types of paralysis in dogs and their causes
Paralysis of the limbs is due to damage to the motor nerves. And for this, in turn, there may be several reasons. In veterinary medicine, there are several types of limb paralysis.</ P>
- With monoplegia, one paw is affected. Its causes are infectious diseases, encephalitis, myelitis, meningitis, sciatica, spinal stroke, tumors in dogs, fractures of bones, various intoxications.
- Paraparesis paralyzes two paws: either the rear, or the front, but more often - the rear. Its common cause is lumbosacral radiculitis.
- Tetraplegia - paralysis of all four limbs causes trauma to the cervical spine, nerve damage due to intoxication or trauma, plague carnivore.
- The defeat of two left or right limbs (hemiplegia) occurs with cerebral abscess, carnivore plague, tumors, trauma, cerebral infarction, cerebral hemorrhage, meningoencephalitis.
- Paralysis of the lower jaw (or trigeminal nerve)Occurs as a result of injuries, brain diseases (plague in dogs, hemorrhage, rabies, abscesses and neoplasms in the brain), dental disease, inflammation of the middle ear.
Other peripheral paralysis in certain parts of the body is most often associated with trauma.
Treatment of paralysis in dogs
Paralysis is not a verdict in most cases. Much depends on the nature of the paralysis itself, the causes of its occurrence, the age of the dog, and the timeliness of treatment.</ P>
- First of all, it is necessary to establish the cause of paralysis, for which the veterinarian conducts a number of outpatient studies. The treatment of paralysis also depends on the treatment of the underlying disease.
- The most traditional treatment isUse antispasmodics: baralgin or no-shpa, and if the dog hurts, then analgesics. Also involve glucocorticoids (dexamethasone or prednisolone), vitamins of group B.
- If the cause of paralysis of the limbs are infectious-allergic reactions, antihistamines may be prescribed.
- Treatment of central paralysis by traditionalMethods do not always give the desired results. Especially the effectiveness is reduced because of the belated start of treatment, inept application of medicines, since a lot of muscles are affected.
- In the treatment of central and peripheral paralysis, novocaine nerve blockades can also be used. It requires massage and heating of the affected muscles.
- Complications of the treatment and the fact that paralysis in the dog is limited mobility and quickly occurs hypostatic pneumonia, especially with tetraplegia.
- With paraplegia of the hind limbs, an upper pleural novocain blockade is used according to VV Mosin.
Efficacy is greatly enhanced by the combined use of physiotherapy, drug and pathogenetic methods.
There are rocks that can be attributed to the groupRisk of paralysis of the paws. First and foremost, these are breeds of dogs with a long body: basset hounds, dachshunds, Russian greyhounds, Scotch terriers, hounds, etc. These dogs with age are more likely than many others to refuse their hind legs.</ P>
- Dogs at risk shouldBalanced nutrition and regular examinations of the doctor. It is worth to be careful about walking, and after returning home carefully examine the animal for minor injuries and all the time to treat.
- Also need to carefully inspect the woolTicks, whose poison is very toxic. Not detected in time, the parasite can cause paralysis of the limbs, as well as paralyze the entire nervous system, including the respiratory system.
- A formidable bacterium is botulism, which can enter the body through stale food and cause paralysis.
As the paralysis progresses very quickly, it is important, with its slightest signs, to visit the veterinary clinic as soon as possible or call the vet at the house.