Jaundice in dogs
Jaundice in dogs (ikterus) is not an independentdisease. This is a symptom typical of several diseases, such as various types of hepatitis (viral, toxic, allergic), babesiosis, pyroplasmosis, opisthorchiasis, hemolytic poisoning, methorhosis, leptospirosis and listeriosis, as well as cholecystitis and cholelithiasis.
These are very dangerous diseases and therefore when jaundice occurs, it is necessary to contact the veterinarian.
- With jaundice, the skin, mucous membranes and sclera are colored yellow (orange-yellow or lemon) due to a sharp increase in the blood concentration of bilirubin.
- The first, as a rule, noticeably yellow eyesApples and eyelids, a little later - the skin of the ears and the underbelly. Urine becomes a brownish-yellow color, and with the development of the disease darkens to the color of malt beer.
- Also, the animal shows signs of poisoning: weakening, lack of appetite, clouded consciousness, diarrhea, vomiting in the dog, sometimes, on the contrary - constipation.
In addition, there are symptoms of the underlying disease that caused jaundice.
Causes of jaundice in dogs
This symptom develops due to blockageBile ducts or damage to liver cells. Violation of the capture, conjugation and excretion of bilirubin by the liver, as well as it becomes too much due to hemolysis. In the blood, bile pigments accumulate, which partially exit the urine, but some of them remain in the tissues.
Rarely, jaundice is found as a consequence of the breakdown of red blood cells caused by the influence of poisons.
Treatment of jaundice in dogs
First of all, with jaundice, it is necessary to diagnose the underlying disease and treat it specifically by contacting a veterinary clinic.
- However, in addition to this, it is important to observe the specialDiet, sparing the liver. With it, fats and protein (meat) are significantly limited (no more than 17%) and are replaced by food rich in carbohydrates (cereals, cereal soups). In the water or food you need to add glucose. For the liver this is an important source of energy. You can enter and intravenously. Vitamins for dogs B1, B6, B12 and E. are shown.
- Also, cholagogue Karlvar salt is added to the food, which also regulates the function of the gastrointestinal tract.
- If the animal is obese, it reduces the total calorie content of the diet.
- It is necessary to give an abundant drink with broths from berries of juniper and peppermint. They facilitate the removal of bile pigments from the urine.
- On the liver region it is good to make warm compresses, if, of course, the pet will allow.
- The animal needs rest, so it is important to limit the load and abandon sports activities.
Symptomatic therapy impliesUse of diuretics and antihistamines, glucocorticoids, LIV-52, vitohepat, sirep, lipid, vikasol, essenciale, ascorbic acid. When vomiting should be given atropine sulfate or metoclopramide.