Hiccups in dogs and puppies or why does the dog hiccup?
Dogs quite often hiccup. Some dog breeders notice that this happens after eating or frightening (especially in puppies), but it happens that the causes of hiccups are not noticeable and initially are not clear.
Hiccups are a sharp reflex inspiration, which is associated with a repeated contraction of the diaphragm.
Why does the dog hiccup?
A dog's hiccough may be prolonged or short-term, it depends on the causes of its occurrence.
- Quickly passes the hiccups that have arisen in the puppy orAdult dog after a sharp filling of the stomach. This happens when the dog is too fast and eats eagerly. The same hiccups occur if the dog is fed on dry food and this water does not have enough water. Therefore, puppies should be soaked with dry food in water.
- Puppy can hiccup after a stormy game with you or peers. He just has a dry nasopharynx and needs to drink.
- Also puppies often hiccup from hypothermia, especially if they are small shorthair breeds or naked. Then it should be worn even in the apartment, because the puppy is on the floor, where there can be drafts.
- If the dog hiccups for a long time, the reasons may be more serious: getting into the stomach of a foreign object, diseases of the gastrointestinal tract (for example, acute gastritis), worms in puppies, and dirofilariasis.
With a prolonged hiccup, a heart attack can begin or it indicates the defeat of the central nervous system if the animals suffered a serious illness (plague carnivorous, etc.).
What to do when a dog hiccups?
- At a short-term hiccup after eating, the dog should be given warm water. You can also give the dog a piece of sugar.
- If the puppy eats too quickly and swallows the air, but after eating refuses water, he can gently massage his stomach. Also in puppies it is necessary to regularly drive worms.
- If the hiccup does not go away, some dog breeders are advised to take the animal by the front paws and lift them so that it stays a bit on the hind legs. This exercise is worth about three minutes.
- Hiccups and this time did not pass? Then it is necessary to prick the dog metoclopramide. This is a specific blocker of dopamine receptors, which calms hiccups, especially if it is associated with problems of the gastrointestinal tract.
If for your dog a long hiccough is notA rarity, it is necessary to go to the veterinarian and get a check-up. Most likely, with the health of the dog, serious problems and it needs treatment for some disease.