Frostbite in dogs
Together with the winter magic in our lifeA cold wind, snowfalls, snowstorms and blinding sun burst in. Of course, on the weekend, "leprosy" the weather I want to use: to make a snowman, play snowballs, run with a quick pet on deep soft snowdrifts.
Especially as dogs are happy with snow no less,Than people. But only a long stay in the cold is fraught with serious problems - not only colds, but frostbite ... tell you how to protect your pet from the cold and what to do if you, alas, failed.
Symptoms of frostbite in dogs
The greatest risk of freezing in dogsPaw pads, ears and tail are exposed. The zone of frostbite is very easy to determine: it is clearly separated from healthy tissues in color. Carefully examine the skin: on the affected areas it is pale, cold to the touch.
With frostbite, the temperature of the body drops below 36 degrees. The animal is sluggish, feels weak, shivering, chills.
Do not joke with frostbite! If you do not take immediate action, the pet can develop an inflammatory process, there will be swelling, redness, blisters as after a burn.
What should I do if the dog has a frostbite?
First of all, warm the animal. Put it in a bath with warm water, then wrap it with a towel and cover with a blanket.
Do not rub the pet in any wayTowel, alcohol, hands! There is an opinion among the people that the skin of an animal, like a human, in order to save it from frost, must be grated red. It's a delusion. Rubbing leads to the formation of blood clots in the vessels!
- Apply to the affected part of the bodyA thermo-insulating cotton-gauze dressing (7 layers) to accumulate heat and prevent premature warming of the surface tissues. But! Do not wrap the bandage tight. This disturbs the blood circulation.
- Give the pet a solution of warm water with honey. Glucose will warm up the body. Immediately after frostbite, the animal loses its sensesBut after warming up, he will begin to experience painful pain, which can be alleviated by pouring a little red wine on the pupil's tongue.
The recipe is based on the healing properties of potatoes. To prepare such a compress, you need to knead the tubers together with the peel. The mashed potatoes should be warm, but, in no case, do not burn the skin.
The compress is applied to the frost-bitten area and wrapped with a rag. After the potatoes cool down, it is removed, and the skin is lubricated with lemon juice diluted in water in a ratio of 1/5.
Reduce portions of the pet. During the meal, blood is drawn to the stomach, and you need to restore blood circulation around the affected area of the skin. A small hunger strike, "frostbitten" will not hurt.
How to avoid hypothermia?
- Wear a warmed overall on your pet. Or a few ordinary ones. Especially if you have a short-haired dog.
- Do not go out immediately to the street. A sharp temperature drop may adversely affect the health of the dog. Better wait a few minutes at the entrance, near the door. Give the dog to get used to the frost.
- Do not stand in one place on the street. Continually move, change the pace of walking. It is not necessary to throw snow at the pet: of course, snowflakes in wool look beautiful, but the cold itself is unlikely to like the cold and will do good.
- Before going for a walk, apply a thin layer of goose or lard on the animal's pellets.
- Consult with a veterinarian. He can recommend a pet special vitamins for dogs.
It is necessary to know!
Frostbites in dogs are of three degrees ...
...The first Characterized by mild swelling of the skin, edema. Affected areas can be wiped with camphor alcohol or oil. The animal must be kept warm. Remember that you can not make tight bandages! With proper handling, the skin will recover in a few days.
... With frostbite of the second degree A blister forms on the place of the edema. It is necessary to wash the affected areas with soapy water, carefully dry and lubricate the blisters with a 5% iodine spirot solution. Be sure to contact your veterinarian! An experienced doctor will prescribe an ointment for the pet with antibiotics.
... The most fatal frostbite of the third degree, At which tissue necrosis occurs. Do not try to cure the pet yourself - folk remedies will not help. Immediately take the animal to a good veterinary clinic. Otherwise, the consequences can be deplorable: the pet will fall into a coma.
Important! Damaged areas permanently retain an increased sensitivity to cold and are easily re-frozen. So pay special attention to them! Before going out, be sure to lubricate them with the ointment of marigold: it will reliably protect the skin of the pet.