Fistula in a dog: treatment, types
The fistula is a narrow opening, an unnatural pathological channel that secrete a purulent fluid. It can be an internal wound or external.
In some cases, it is a protective property of the body, in which the liquid contained in it does not escape to the outside and thus prevents the spread of infection to adjacent tissues.
Types of fistula in a dog
In a dog, fistula can be of two kinds: congenital and acquired. Congenital fistula is an anomaly of intrauterineDevelopment of the fetus. The second species is acquired as a result of fractures of bones, migration of parasitic larvae, introduction of foreign bodies, suture material in the tissues, gunshot wounds.
When a foreign body enters the tissues, an inflammatory process occurs, the connective tissue grows and encapsulation of an extraneous object occurs.
Also, in dogs, it is not uncommon for pararectal fistulas that arise due to occlusion and paranatal gland injury.
Symptoms of a fistula
If the dog has an external type of fistula, Then the first symptom is the densification of the skinIn the affected area, and after the breakthrough, discharge from the fistula apertures of exudate with an unpleasant odor. The dog behaves restlessly, licks a painful place.
If the fistula is internal, Then it can be detected only by resultsSounding and radiography. The dog looks sluggish, has no appetite, it rises body temperature. First, you need to contact the veterinary clinic and submit a general analysis.
Treatment of fistula in a dog
- Prescribe treatment should only be a veterinarian,Because the consequences of self-treatment can be very deplorable. In advanced cases, the disease is complicated by the paresis of the nerve trunks of the limbs. It is also possible the occurrence of sepsis.
- Fistulas of congenital origin are treated only with the help of surgery. Acquired are treated depending on the type of disease. If the cause was a foreign body, it is removed.
- Purulent fistula is treated with ointments, disinfectant solutions, antibiotics, enzymes, local blockades and even herbal tinctures. But this should be a whole package of measures.
- Special attention to superimposed seams requiresPostoperative period, because in time unprotected and unprocessed wounds can inflame and easily perceive the infection. In such cases, prophylaxis should be performed only by a specialist.
- On the mucosa, the foci are treated with aqueousSolution of sodium, an alcohol solution of iodine, a solution of furacilin. With obvious inflammation and strong anxiety of the animal, antibacterial drugs and antibiotics are used. Also, blood transfusion (hemotherapy) and novocaine blockade are prescribed, which relieves pain and severe irritation.
Especially difficult to treat fistulaDamage to internal organs and through, as well as holes hidden in the fat or subcutaneous folds. In such cases, only surgery is prescribed.