Anemia in dogs: treatment, symptoms
Anemia (or anemia) is a violation of the component composition of the blood, in which the hemoglobin decreases and the absolute number of red blood cells decreases.
Hemoglobin is needed to supply the cells and tissues of the body with oxygen, with its deficiency develops a cellular oxygen starvation. There are several types of anemia.
- Posthemorrhagic. Occur as a result of acute or chronic severe bleeding, for example, with gastritis or peptic ulcer. Can lead to a shock state.
- Hemolytic. Occur as a result of poisoning with toxins: medicines or chemical compounds, infections. Often accompanied by such diseases as pyroplasmosis, hepatitis, hepatosis.
- Hypoplastic. Congenital or acquired insufficiency of hematopoiesis. It is due to the insufficiency of certain vitamins and minerals: iron, copper, cobalt, folic acid, vitamin B12.
- Primary, arising from the violation of erythropoiesis as a result of treatment with cytostatics.
- Secondary. Combined with the defeat of other organs, complications of injuries and great blood loss.
Symptoms of anemia in dogs
Anemia can manifest itself in different ways, depending on the underlying pathogenetic factor that caused it.
- Most often, the first sign of it is the pallor of the oral mucosa. It becomes like a "porcelain": from a faint pink color to pearl white.
- The animal is weakening, becoming drowsy, breathing heavily, its pulse is increasing. At a hemolytic anemia first of all jaundice is shown.
- An accurate diagnosis is made on the basis of the results of a laboratory study of blood and bone marrow.
Treatment of anemia in dogs
- If the animal becomes weak and begins to loseConsciousness, the doctor dent a bleeding vessel, hemostatic agents (dicinone, vicasol, aminocaproic acid) are injected, plasma-substituting solutions and canned blood are poured.
- If the anemia proceeds slowly, depending on the type of disease the animal is given folic acid and vitamin B12, iron substances are introduced.
- Posthemorrhagic anemia is treated firstTurn, elimination of the cause, stopping bleeding. Also polyglyukine, Ringer's solution, 5% glucose solution, isotonic sodium chloride solution is injected subcutaneously or intravenously.
- With hemolytic anemia, that is whenPoisoning with hemolytic poisons (phenothiazine, methylene blue, heavy metals) use glucocorticoids and detoxifying agents. Sometimes to increase the effectiveness of treatment remove the enlarged spleen.
- Hypoplastic anemia is treated depending on the cause, that is, from the poisonous substance. The most commonly used are anabolics, glucocorticoids, multivitamins.
- An extract of a crude liver is introduced into the ration of the animal, in which there are many nutrients, such as complex B vitamins and iron.