Rickets in dogs: symptoms, treatment, photo
Rickets is a chronic disease that mainly affects puppies and young dogs. It causes its lack of vitamin D, phosphorus or calcium in food or the inability of the body to absorb these elements.
Happens and hereditary rickets as a violation at the chromosome level. Most often in dogs there is a "phosphorous appearance" of rickets.
Symptoms and signs of rickets in dogs
- A painful dog can be recognized by stooping back, lethargy.
- The joints of its paws are knotty, the muscles flabby, and the legs are half-bent in movement and in the column.
- On the ribs, characteristic "beads" are formed, the functions of internal organs, nervous system are violated.
- In neglected cases, the long bones of the paws become soft, stop developing and easily break.
- Also, the development of teeth is delayed, organic changes in the liver and heart occur.
- A dog can eat inedible things: feces, ground, licking walls. Physically, it is weak and quickly tired.
Treatment of rickets in dogs
This is a long and complex process, and also not always successful. Therefore, timely start of treatment is very important.
- Excellent results give the medicineErgocalciferol. It is used daily for 5000-10000 IE within a month. At the same time, calcium gluconate is injected intravenously 2-3 times a week for half a milliliter.
- Also give inside trivitamin for 1-10 drops daily in the mouth or injected intramuscularly 1-2 times a week at the rate of 1 ml per 10-12 kg of body weight.
- You can also give drops or drops of vitamins such as tocopherol, retinol, videidine, dafasol, vikarotin, vitamult, nutrisane, hemobalance, Duavite, SA-37.
- In parallel with the preparation of these drugs,Provide the dog walks in the sun or artificial ultraviolet irradiation with household quartz lamps a meter away from the belly, starting from two and leading up to 7-8 minutes. The eyes are covered with a towel. Do not less than 10 such procedures.
Prevention of rickets in dogs
Prevention is very important for puppies. It is quite simple, but effective - the dog should receive a full meal with vitamins and mineral supplements.
An excellent means of preventing and even treating rickets in dogs in the early stages is vitaminized fish oil. It is added to the feed 1-3 times a week for 3-30 ml.
Since the ultraviolet spectrum, radiated by the sun, allows the body to produce vitamin D on its own, walks and active loads on sunny days in the open air are necessary.