Colds in dogs: symptoms, treatment, prevention
Colds are also known to dogs. So called acute respiratory viral infections (ARVI) or acute respiratory disease (ARI). And you should not brush them off, because the banal cold can develop into a bacterial infection with complications.
Causes of colds in dogs
Like humans, canine colds can occurUnder hypothermia, managing a sedentary lifestyle, reducing immunity, inhaling irritants and allergens. This can be a fungal, bacterial, viral infection, or helminth infection.
It can provoke a cold development of neoplasms in the chest cavity and respiratory tract, heart pathology or even a chest injury.
Often, an animal that has a tumor of a malignant nature, coughs because of the presence of metastases in its lungs.
Symptoms of colds in dogs
- First of all, the dog's appetite disappears, the body temperature rises (with a dry and hot nose), lymph nodes increase, and conjunctivitis appears.
- The animal begins to cough, and during physical exertion, its breathing becomes much more frequent, the dog has shortness of breath.
- The dog often drinks, becomes restless.
- She may have a runny nose and snot that the dog will constantly lick.
- The animal can not bark, because barking, rough and with expectoration, immediately turns into a cough.
If there were not even all the symptoms of a coldDogs at the same time, it's worth the pet to show the veterinarian that he listened to the trachea, heart, lungs, and also prescribed blood tests, taking swabs, and also on C-reactive protein.
If treatment is not started on time, then the infection can spread throughout the body, affecting other organs: the kidneys, the heart, etc.
Treatment of colds in dogs
- First of all, the correct regime is important. The dog should be kept warm, always with fresh water. If the street is cold and damp, you should not walk for more than 15-20 minutes. Avoid contact with other dogs.
- For the treatment of colds in dogs, they mainly use anti-inflammatory drugs, immunostimulants, antibiotics, vitamin and expectorants.
- At high temperature, give a tablet of paracetamol (for an adult large dog) or half a pill to a small dog, a puppy.
- In drinking from cough, you can add a decoction of herbs: licorice root, mother-and-stepmother flowers, plantain.
- Discharge from the eyes and nose gently wipeA cotton swab dipped in a decoction of chamomile or a pharmacy solution of furacilin. Hard crusts on the nose should be softened with vaseline oil, and then gently removed.
Prevention of colds
Because the effects of colds can be quite serious for a dog, it is important not to let her illness. Do not allow to supercool, for example, if the dog lives on the street, its kennel needs to be insulated.
You can not bathe your pet in cold weather. Food in winter should be balanced and vitamin.