Mastitis in dogs: symptoms, treatment, prevention
Mastitis is a possible complication in the dog after childbirth. This is an acute or chronic inflammation of the breast, which can occur for several reasons.
Causes of mastitis in dogs
- Firstly Is a trauma of the mammary gland, which pups often cause during sucking, for example, with claws. In this wound, a bacterial infection can enter and this will lead to inflammation.
- Also, the cause of congestive mastitis may beStagnation of milk. It occurs when puppies are misused or too early taken away from their mother, and also if all or most of the pups suddenly die, and there is no one to feed.
- Mastitis in dogs can be caused not by feeding puppies, but, conversely, by false pregnancy, as well as diseases of the birth canal and gastrointestinal tract.
- Additional factors that cause mastitis,Are: hereditary predisposition, stress, exposure to chemicals, any infections with reduced immunity, heat and frost, and clogged sphincter ducts of the nipple.
Symptoms of the disease
When mastitis the dog becomes sluggish, it lacks or decreases appetite, sometimes the body temperature rises. At the same time, red skin around the dairyGlands, and they themselves increase, become dense and painful. If the nipples are pressed, watery milk with an admixture of pus with blood or gray-white, greenish-brown flakes is emitted from them.
However, since mastitis is easily confused with other mastitisPathologies of the breast, the final diagnosis should be made only by a veterinarian. The doctor should be treated as quickly as possible so that the inflammation does not develop into an abscess, a phlegmon, and then a gangrene.
Treatment of mastitis in dogs
In the early stages, with timely access toThe doctor mastitis can be cured therapeutically. External prescribe ointment-anesthetics and lotions, and internally - anti-inflammatory, antipyretic agents, antibiotics.
If the dog feeds the puppies, they must be transferred to artificial feeding, and the mother should be given complete rest.
If conservative treatment does not help for several days, and purulent abscesses develop on the mammary gland, urgent surgical intervention is necessary.
Prevention of mastitis in dogs
- It is necessary to closely monitor the condition of the nipples in the nursing dog and in time to treat it with cracks and scratches. Puppies, starting from the age of two weeks, need to cut their claws regularly.
- If the dog does not have a planned offspring and the owners want to drown the puppies, then it is necessary to leave a couple to naturally prevent the development of mastitis by natural feeding.
- When the pups die, the mammary glands of the bitch should be lubricated with camphor oil and tightly bandaged.
- If you do not plan to mate the dog, it is best to sterilize it.