Hepatitis in dogs: signs, symptoms, treatment
Infectious hepatitis in dogs or jaundice - acuteA viral disease characterized by fever, catarrhal inflammation of the gastrointestinal tract and mucous membranes of the respiratory tract, as well as severe lesions of the liver and central nervous system.
The disease causes the virus of the genus Mastadenoviras,It is capable of maintaining activity at room temperature for 2-3 months. A dog of any breed and age can get sick. However, most often, puppies are ill at the age of 2-6 months.
Hepatitis can be transmitted as a contact from a sick animal (with eye and nasal mucus, feces, urine), and through feed or water.
Symptoms of hepatitis in dogs
The signs and the course of the disease depend on its shape. In acute form, the dog is depressed, refuses to feed, the temperature is raised to 41 degrees. The most characteristic signs of infectious hepatitis are:
- Frequent vomiting with an admixture of bile
- Increased thirst
- Acute gastroenteritis
- Icteric whites of the eyes, mucous membranes
- Feces whitish in color,
- Dark urine
- Keratitis and acute viral tonsillitis (inflammation of the palatine tonsils)
An important sign of hepatitis in dogs is a pronounced painfulness of the liver upon palpation. It is because of the pain of the liver that dogs often sit, placing their front paws wider.
Serious disorders of the respiratory and cardiovascular system also appear in sick animals. The pulse is rapid and often arrhythmic; Breathing fast, heavy.
Often there is itching of the skin and the dog stronglyCombs the patches on the body. Mucous membranes and unpainted areas of the skin turn yellow. The dog loses weight sharply. Puppies often have paralysis and convulsions of the limbs.
In subacute and chronic course of the disease, these symptoms are less pronounced.
If you suspect a hepatitis for an accurate diagnosis, you need to urgently examine the blood of a sick dog.
Treatment of hepatitis in dogs
With such serious symptoms, you should not self-medicate and urgently need to see a veterinarian.
- First of all, he will appoint dietary feeding based on the breed and age of the animal.
- In any case, fatty foods are excluded from the diet, but at first the hungry regime is generally useful for a day with free access to water.
- In a bowl with water, it is desirable to add broths of herbs to stimulate the function of the liver and digestive organs.
- In dietary nutrition, meat and fish broths should be present.
- To remove the intoxication of the body, injections of antitoxic substances into the blood are prescribed - 5% glucose solution, isotonic sodium chloride solution, Ringer's solutions.
- To normalize body temperature and relieve pain, calming and anesthetics are prescribed. Metabolism in the hepatic cells is improved by hepatoprotectors.