Ascites in dogs: symptoms and treatment
Ascites in a dog or, as it is called, abdominalDropsy is the accumulation of serous stagnant transudate in the abdominal cavity of the animal. The amount of liquid is quite different, sometimes, reaching in dogs and up to 15-20 liters.
The disease occurs in connection with the violation of blood- and lymph circulation in the body. Peritoneal fluid poorly leaves the abdominal cavity with insufficient work of the heart, leading to stagnant phenomena in a large circle of blood circulation.
This is not a rare disease in dogs mediatedThe cause of which are: heart or kidney failure, hypodynamia, liver disease (such as cirrhosis), disease with echinococcosis, cancer, fascioliasis, causing stasis in the portal vein system, etc. Also, the disease can contribute to depletion, hydremia as a consequence of kidney disease, blood disease, etc.
Symptoms of ascites in dogs
Ascites are quite noticeable even visually.
- The dog grows and the stomach hangs. And with fullness it is difficult to confuse, because when the animal changes the position of the body, the fluid moves and the shape of the abdomen changes after it. The presence of fluid in the abdominal cavity is established by simple probing.
- In addition, the dog is hard to breathe and she often sits or lies.
- Mucous membranes of the mouth and eyes pale or become icteric.
- The body temperature does not change. But the dog is noticeably quickly tired and, despite the water in the stomach, it loses weight.
- The coat becomes dull and tousled.
To clarify the diagnosis, the doctor makes a test puncture of the abdominal wall. The prognosis of the course of the disease depends on the severity of the initial disease that caused the dropsy.
Treatment of ascites in dogs
First of all, the owner of the dog should contact the veterinarian, since it is important to treat not the ascites itself, but the disease that caused it.
This will require additional research and analysis. While the main disease is established, symptomatic treatment is used, which is aimed at maintaining the vital forces of the body.
- First of all, it is important to "plant" the animal on easily digestible protein food.
- It is necessary to give diuretics, the consumption of liquid and table salt is limited, and vitamins for dogs and light heart products are prescribed: caffeine, tincture of digitalis.
- Excessive fluid accumulation is removed by puncture, if necessary, it is repeated.
Important and preventive maintenance of the disease, which consists in a full-fledged diet, a lively lifestyle and timely treatment of all diseases.