Runny nose in dogs: causes, symptoms, treatment, rhinitis
Rhinitis is a symptom that can indicate a variety of diseases in a dog.
Cause of the common cold in dogs
If there are no other symptoms that can tellAbout a certain disease, then in the off-season, in spring and autumn, the cause of the common cold as an independent disease can be a sharp transition from a warm place to a cool place and vice versa, as well as a dog's hypothermia.
Another cause of the common cold may be the ingress of a foreign substance into the nose that irritates the inside of the nose: smoke, dust, grass particles, plant pollen, etc.
- The dog sneezes, often licks his nose, triesScratch his front paws. If at the same time she is quite active, as before, and her appetite did not disappear, one can track the beginning of another, more serious illness by catching a cold in time.
- In the future, there are discharge from the nose: Transparent and liquid or thick. It depends on the duration of the disease. If the dog does not receive timely treatment, these secretions can interfere with her breathing: it becomes heavy, the dog snuffles and breathes with the mouth.
- Acute rhinitis is treated only a week. But if the disease is started, then the treatment of its chronic form can take months and even years.
Treatment of a common cold in dogs
For the safe disposal of a dog from an acute cold, there are several ways to treat and timely prevention of chronic rhinitis.
- If the disease is triggered and the dog as a resultSecretions on the nose have already formed crusts, then they must be lubricated several times a day with a 3% solution of hydrogen peroxide, and then cleaned. And to prevent the repeated formation of crusts, the nose of the dog around the nostrils should be lubricated with petroleum jelly or other vegetable oil.
- The nasal cavity can be lubricated several times a day1-2% menthol ointment, or use a product made up of a 1% solution of soda and a 0.5% solution of tannin. In order to treat rhinitis, streptocid powder is also used, which can be injected into the dog's nose. True, you need to do this very carefully and carefully.
- Another way to treat rhinitis is associated withUsing onions. A small piece of cotton wool is dipped in onion juice, and this tampon is inserted into the dog's nostrils for 10-15 minutes. To get a positive effect, you need to do this 3-4 times a day.
- If the dog has a strong discharge from the nose, you can try washing with a beet broth.
If in a short time (for a week) a runny noseThe pet could not be cured, and it passed into a chronic form, then in parallel with the treatment it will be necessary to dry the skin of the nose, as it becomes irritated with permanent discharge. You can do this with the help of streptocid powder, several times a day, showering the dog's nose with it.