Pyometra in dogs: symptoms and treatment
Pyometra in dogs is a fairly common disease. It manifests spontaneously within 2-3 months after the period of estrus in animals of middle and older age.
It is believed that the disease causes a prolongedProgesterone stimulation, which is characteristic for the period of metestrosis, as well as complication of secondary bacterial infection. A pyometra can arise as a result of hormone therapy that prevents heat or interrupts an unwanted pregnancy in bitches of all ages.
Symptoms of pyometers in dogs
In spontaneous cases, the disease develops gradually over several cycles.
- Initially, the only symptom may beDischarge from the vulva - mucous and insignificant. If the animal remains untreated at this stage, the disease continues to develop, polyuria, polydipsia and malaise appear, vulva discharge increases, becomes bloodier, and leucorrhoea appears.
- Against the background of these symptoms, fever may also begin, during which the symptoms become apparent.
- When you feel your stomach, the dog resists because ofPain. The uterus is enlarged. However, with rough probing, there is a risk of rupture of the uterus. Therefore, ultrasound is preferred.
To clarify the diagnosis, a blood test is also taken, urine is examined.
Treatment of pyometers in dogs
- In the vast majority of cases, the treatment of piometers involves exclusively ovariohisterctomy (removal of the ovaries and uterus).
- In especially severe cases, intravenous electrolytes and fluids are introduced intravenously before the operation for a stabilizing effect.
- AntidentoxicImmunotherapy, because the disease is accompanied by a bacterial infection. It leads to the release of endotoxins into the bloodstream, and this makes it difficult for the animal to recover.
- If the disease is diagnosed at an early stage and the animal is young enough, then attempts at treatment with preservation of the reproductive capacity of the animal are possible.
- Such treatment involves using a combination of drugs or steroid hormones that cut the uterus. This is methylergovin maleate with broad-spectrum antibiotics.
- After the next estrus, such treatment shouldCause a relapse of the disease and the animal is re-treated. Even older animals, this method allows prolonging life up to two years without surgery.