Cough in dogs: causes and treatment
By itself, coughing in dogs is not dangerous. This is a sharp exhalation through the mouth, and in fact - a reflex mechanism as a reaction to irritation.
Normally, it serves to remove (cough)All that has got into the respiratory tract: fluid, foreign objects, irritants such as smoke. For a doctor, cough is a sign of a respiratory or cardiovascular disease, as well as a certain trauma.
Common causes of cough in dogs
The dog can have many reasons for the appearance of a cough. It:
- Injuries, foreign bodies in the chest andVolume formation of the thorax and neck organs, as well as an increase in the chambers of the heart for heart diseases. All this is characterized by airway compression from the outside.
- The ingress of liquids or foreign objects into the lumen of the respiratory tract (fragments of toys or bones, vomit, grass of cereals).
- Inflammatory diseases of the respiratory system, which are accompanied by the formation of sputum.
- Genus or congenital malformations of the respiratory system. For example, in decorative breeds of dogs, the breed defect is the collapse of the trachea.
- Accumulation of air or fluid in the pleural cavity.
- Lesions of the lungs with swelling or pneumonia.
- Adenovirus or "nursery cough" is a viral disease transmitted from a sick animal
Some of the reasons are not dangerous and nature is fastIndependently cope with the same cough. However, if dyspnea occurs during coughing, the appetite decreases or disappears or the dog does not eat anything at all, and the general condition of the dog worsens, then it is necessary to urgently consult a doctor.
Diagnosis and treatment of cough in dogs
Until the diagnosis is established, it is necessary to alleviate the condition of the dog. She needs to provide peace and fresh air. Sometimes the actual and humidified air.
It is impossible to give any medicines before the doctor's arrival, so as not to "lubricate" the picture of the symptoms!
To establish a diagnosis, many procedures may be required:
- clinical blood test
- As well as examination of the pharynx, bronchi, trachea or esophagus with an endoscope and radiopaque examination of the esophagus
- Bronchial biopsy
- Sowing of bronchial secretion on microflora
- Consultations of specialists: surgeon, cardiologist, oncologist, allergist
Specific treatment is prescribed only after the diagnosis is established. Before that, the doctor prescribes symptomatic treatment, in order to alleviate the condition of the animal and support its body.
Coughing in dogs is not a disease, but a symptom. And it is important to establish its true cause in order to prescribe the treatment of the disease as precisely as possible.