Gastritis in dogs: the main signs, symptoms and methods of treatment
Gastritis in dogs - inflammation of the gastric mucosa. It is accompanied by a disorder of the motor, secretory and endocrine function of the organ.
There are several causes of gastritis. This is a poor-quality or too homogeneous food, as well as hot or too cold food, frequent and excessive feeding, diseases of the mouth and teeth. Also, the cause of gastritis can be worms in the dog, prolonged use of drugs that irritate the stomach, food allergies or diseases of the endocrine system and chronic infections, ulcers, tumors, beriberi.
Symptoms of gastritis in dogs
- The most common symptom of gastritis in dogs is vomiting. It arises due to the fact that the irritated pancreas can not properly process food.
- With acute gastritis, vomiting can last more than a week. The dog refuses to eat, grows thin, looks oppressed. Vomit with an admixture of mucus, and sometimes bile.
- On the tongue a white coating is visible, and in the region of the stomach pain is noted.
- The body temperature can be elevated, and the feces liquid and dark.
- With chronic gastritis, the temperature is often notBut the animal loses weight, does not eat well, sometimes it has vomiting, liquid feces, mucous membranes of the eyes icteric for no apparent reason. Often, vomiting in the dog appears yellow slime after eating grass.
This form of the disease can last for years.
To confirm the diagnosis, a fluoroscopy of the stomach and examination of its contents are necessary.
Treatment of gastritis in dogs
Only the doctor prescribes treatment, because the form of the disease can be very different with increased or decreased acidity.
- With an acute form of gastritis for a minimum of 24 hours, it is necessary to keep the animal on a starvation diet.
- Also, gastric lavage is prescribed, but emeticGive is not recommended. Two days after the diet, the animal is given a slimy broth with the addition of a raw chicken egg. Later small portions and often fed vegetable or oat soup, grated carrots, minced meat from low-fat meat.
- When the body is dehydrated, saline is injected intravenously. Deep warm mucous enemas are made.
- If gastritis is caused by infection or pathogenic microflora, the veterinarian prescribes antibiotic treatment. With constipation, the dog is given a laxative.
- In chronic gastritis, the animal is fed in small portions, but often. Before every feeding is worth giving al-mahel.
- If a decrease in gastric acidity is diagnosedOr its complete absence, then substitution therapy is carried out. The dog is prepared a mixture of two parts dilute hydrochloric acid and the same amount of pepsin, as well as water. Assign it three times a day to two tablespoons before eating.