Worms in dogs, puppies: signs, treatment, tablets, how to withdraw
You can safely say that most dogs,Which have not undergone deworming, are infected with worms. Helminthiases often occur almost asymptomatically or imperceptibly for an incompetent or careless dog owner.
But some worms in dogs and for humans are dangerous. After all, if hygiene is not respected, some speciesWorms are transmitted from dogs to humans. For example, ascarids. Therefore, once or twice a year, it is worthwhile to conduct preventive de-worming of the pet and to protect your family from the danger of infection.
Parasitic worms are quite oldOrganisms that have passed more than one millennium of evolution. During this time, they have adapted so well to life at someone else's expense that the worm's presence in the animal's body is almost imperceptible. Symptoms are manifested only in cases of severe infection and intoxication. In most cases, the worms quietly host, gradually weakening and poisoning the pet. Therefore, it is important not to wait for the insidious parasites to give out their presence, and to carry out preventive measures in time.
Infection with worms (helminthiasis) is severeAnd a dangerous disease. They can catch both adult dogs and puppies. Worms can settle in various internal organs and cause a variety of diseases. First of all, they deplete the body, but can affect the brain, lungs, liver, blood-forming organs, digestive system, skin, etc.
A puppy infected with worms grows poorly, is susceptible to various infections and is often sick, or may die.
A difficult path
Most common helminthsParasitize the gastrointestinal tract of dogs and cats. But some species of worms live in other organs of the body: in the pancreas, liver and even in muscle tissue.
In addition, not all helminths immediately settle inIntestines. For example, in nematodes, larvae hatched from eggs penetrate through the intestinal walls into the bloodstream and through the vessels they reach the lungs. There they grow up. Then, when coughing, they come out of the lungs and again enter the esophagus. Returning to the intestine, adult larvae turn into round helminths.
Is it dangerous!
Although the worms affect the individual organs of the body,Helminthiasis is considered common. Parasites act immediately on the whole organism, poisoning it with the products of their vital activity. Because of this, the animal can develop an allergic reaction. Also they deprive the pet of many useful substances coming with food. This drains the carrier.
In addition, the infected pet is worseResists infections. First, bacteria are often introduced into the body together with parasites. Secondly, helminths sometimes activate pathogenic microflora, which was present in the body before the appearance of parasites. As a result, the animal gradually weakens, it is overcome by allergies and periodic infectious diseases.
The most helminthic diseases are borne by puppies and kittens. Worms swish in a tiny bowel, causing obstruction. If you do not remove it on time, a break may occur.
3 Ways to Infect a Dog with Worms
- Fleas. In the presence of an animal flea veterinarians always prescribe him and anthelmintizatsiyu. After all, fleas carry flatworms. Licking and combing his hair with his teeth, the pet often swallows insects. So worms and enter the intestine.
- Pregnancy. Puppies often get parasites from their mothers right in the womb. If during pregnancy, the infection did not happen miraculously, then the worms can still enter the body of the newborn baby while feeding. That is why before mating it is important to conduct deworming of the female.
- Mud. In soil, sand and mud, there may also be eggs of worms. For this reason, it is also necessary to expose deworming to cats that live in apartments. To pick up parasites, they just have to rub their faces on the street shoes of the owners, and then wash.
4 times a year
Vets recommend de-wormingEvery quarter. Moreover, it is more convenient to do this not strictly according to the calendar, but to relate it to certain moments in the life of the animal. For example, a dog can be given anthelmintic preparations after estrus twice a year, as well as at the beginning and end of the summer season.
But there are circumstances when it is necessary to conductDeworming, even if the previous one was performed not so long ago. Prevention against the worms must be performed 10 days before mating females, as well as a week before and after childbirth. Newborn babies worms are chased monthly until 3-6 months. And finally, treatment from the worms must be carried out two weeks before vaccination.
Symptoms of worms in dogs, puppies
How to determine if the dog has worms? There are a number of signs that can practically with 100% probability assert about the presence of helminths in an animal:
- Puppies, strongly infected with parasites, are inactive and grow weakly. Their wool is matte, and the protein of the eye has a bluish rim.
- With normal or even increased appetite, the dog loses weight, she has vomiting and diarrhea.
- In feces you can see adult worms or blood, mucus. There may be constipation caused by coils of worms.
- The abdomen of the puppies is swollen, and in the abdomen it often rumbles. The liver can be enlarged. Wandering larvae can damage lung tissue and open the way for the disease with pneumonia.
- With a strong infection, the appetite begins to decrease, the dog weakens and becomes sluggish. Mucous membranes pale, and a tendency to skin diseases and dermatitis appears.
Treatment and prophylaxis of worms in dogs, puppies
- Treatment, like prevention, is carried out with the same drugs. Deworming should be performed regularly from an early age.
- For the first time, the worms are expelled from the worm at the age of the third week, then again in a couple of weeks and then every three weeks.
- A strongly maligned puppy from the drug may become ill, as perishing worms release toxins that cause poisoning. The puppy begins diarrhea, vomiting, he does not eat.
- Therefore, kids with the medicine, it is useful to give the puppy a spoon of Vaseline oil, which removes toxins from the body.
- An adult dog should be treated with deworming every three months. The drug is given during meals. For medical purposes, with a strong degree of disease, the treatment is repeated after 10 days.
Prevention should be calculated so that it falls out 10 days before the annual vaccination, as well as the female before knitting and then 2-3 weeks after delivery.
Tablets for dogs from worms, another medicine and preparations
How to withdraw the worm from the dog? What is the best remedy for these parasites?
All anthelminthic drugs consist of substances that are toxic to the body of parasites, but are completely harmless to animals.
In earlier times, the procedure for de-worming wasMore difficult than now. The dog was not fed the day before the drug was administered. And for greater effect, laxatives were also given. Now for a complete victory over the worms enough and a single dose without any auxiliary procedures. And within a day almost all worms die.
All anthelmintic preparations, regardless of formTheir production can be divided into two types: universal means that affect different types of worms, and highly specialized, which are effective only against certain varieties of parasites.
Universal medicines are used for regularPrevention of helminthiosis. A specialized agent appoints a veterinarian on the basis of laboratory tests, which are carried out in case of severe infection.
For puppies, specialDrugs by age, because some drugs generally can not be given to puppies. It is also important to carefully observe the dosage, since its excess not only causes toxicosis, but can lead to the death of the puppy.
Preparations and tablets specially for worms in puppies:
- Drontal Junior,
- Prasicide suspension,
Adult dogs choose drugs:
- Drontal plus,
- Азинокс плюс,
- Kanikvantel and others.
It is impossible to judge the success of deworming by the availabilityOr absence of helminths in feces. Therefore, if it is recommended to apply it repeatedly in the instructions to the drug, it is necessary to comply with this prescription. It is better not to knead the pill into the feed, the dog may refuse to eat, having sensed another smell. The tablet should be placed deep on the root of the dog's tongue and immediately give a treat.
Puppy tablets can be doused and separating the desired part of the powder by the weight of the baby, dissolve in water and insert a syringe without needles into the mouth.
Forms of preparations from worms in dogs
Modern means from worms in dogs not only act quickly, but also have a convenient form for application. For example, for dogs, drugs are produced in the form of sugar cubes.
There are drops that do not give inside, but drop on the withers of the animal. Through the skin they are absorbed into the blood and quickly reach the parasites.
With self-de-worming, rememberContraindications. For example, the same drops on the withers are not suitable for pregnant, weakened and newborn animals, as well as for pets with kidney and liver diseases.
Carefully follow the dosage. Most drugs are safe: if you give a little more medicine, nothing will happen to the pet. But if the animal receives less than necessary, the therapy may prove ineffective.
In general, often with deworming of old andWeakened pets use milder drugs or medicines on plant raw materials. In this case, the worms die gradually, which means that the risk of intestinal blockage decreases when they exit. Sometimes to help such animals apply and laxatives on an oily basis.
When everything is serious
As we have already mentioned, the worms in dogs are manifestedNoticeable symptoms in the late stages of infection, when there are already many parasites in the body of the pet. In most cases, the presence of worms can be indirectly determined by the behavior of the animal: the pet often licks under its tail and rolls backwards on the floor. More precisely - to see the parasites in the vomit.
Loss of weight with normal nutrition and allergies,Nervous behavior, dullness of the coat, poor appetite, a disorder of the gastrointestinal tract - all this occurs when there is a strong infection. In addition, these symptoms may indicate other diseases.
That's why when a serious infection is necessaryBe sure to visit a doctor. The veterinarian will appoint appropriate tests, accurately determine the type of parasite and perform de-worming, taking into account the general condition of the animal. Moreover, at the end of the treatment you will receive a mark in the pet's passport that he is completely healthy. This is needed when traveling abroad.
This applies to all
Sometimes after treatment it is necessary to do a repeatedDeworming. This is due to the peculiarities of the life cycle of worms. Medicines only work on adult individuals, and larvae, which may be in other organs, do not affect.
If there are other animals in the house, they also needTo give drugs against parasites. In addition, all household members must necessarily take anthelmintic means, since many helminths parasitize both pets and humans. To conduct treatment it is necessary simultaneously - then it will be effective!